We hope you all are having a wonderful summer holiday. While there is still some summer left to enjoy, here is some important information to help you plan for the opening week of school.
The office will be open beginning on Monday, August 27th, 2018 (9:00am – 3:30pm). If you would like to register your child, please do so between Tuesday, August 28thand Friday, August 31st, 2018.
The beginning of a new school year can be a time of uncertainty. Although tentative classes are put together in the spring, final organization cannot be done until September, as there are many families who will arrive or leave during the summer months. Even slight changes from projected enrollment numbers can create staffing changes and require that classes be reorganized once school has started in September. This can be very disruptive to all concerned.
With this in mind, the staff at Chalmers has spent much time planning for our September opening and how we might alleviate some of the uncertainty around “back to school”.
Despite not being able to set our classes ahead of time, we want to ensure a smooth entry for our students. Please read the following section carefully as it fully explains how students in Grades 1 – 7 will be organized for the first week of school (new Kindergarten students have already received information in the mail regarding the September gradual entry schedule):
- Students in Grades 1 – 7 will return to school on Tuesday, September 4, 2018 from 8:45 – 12:25 pm
- All returning students will report to the classroom that they were in during the 2017-18 school year
- All Grade 6 & 7 Late French Immersion students will report to their new classrooms which will be posted on the first day of school
- All new students will report to the gym for placement in classrooms
- School hours during the first week back will be as follows:
Tuesday – 8:45 – 12:25 pm
Wednesday – 8:45 – 2:00 pm
Thursday/Friday – 8:45 – 3:00 pm
- During the first week of school, most students entering Grades 2 – 7 will work with the teacher they had during the 2017-18 school year. However, students entering Grade 1 and some students entering Grade 2 will work with other teacher(s), as their last year teacher will be needed to welcome new kindergarten students and/or students entering Grade 1. Those students whose teacher is no longer at Chalmers will work with the newly assigned teaching staff
- During the first week of school, students are asked to only bring a limited amount of school supplies (pencil box containing pencils and pens, pencil crayons, scissors, etc.). All other supplies should be left at home until they are assigned to their classes for the year. Our school supply lists can be found at the following link:
We look forward to a smooth start to the 2018-19 school year!